Secrets of a Wedding Photographer
The secrets of an Essex wedding photographer
I get nervous.
The first skype, the first meet, the Pre Wedding shoot, the wedding and even delivering the images makes me SO nervous. Nowadays if I didn't get nervous I'd be so worried that I wasn't pushing myself so I see this as a really positive sign. I end up getting laughed at during most couple shoots but this is fine I'm happy to use my random nervous outbursts as perfect moments to capture. I just want to do my best for every single client - I'm a massive people pleaser.
I get sad when couples book photographers based on budget only.
I completely understand that you're working to a budget - unless you can use 'SIM CODE' to magically appear money (yes I'm a 90s kid). I've seen so many couples online complaining about their photos as they only looked at the budget and not the style, personality and products the photographer provides. After the cake has been gobbled, the flowers have wilted and Auntie Claire has stopped dancing on the dance floor there is, sadly, nothing left apart from the memories and photographs to treasure. I'm sure you'd look back and be glad to pick the person you gelled with most rather then the £200 'wedding day deal' you got from a stranger on Groupon.
I feel devastated when someone puts a filter over my image on Instagram or doesn't credit me.
I often spend an hour or so tweaking just ONE image, ensuring the colour balance is correct and making sure it's perfect for your gallery. So when I see clients and even vendors (vendors a lot more recently!) my stomach drops as all my hard work is lost in a matter of seconds. Also, Word of mouth is like OXYGEN to my business' survival and my own personal survival (home, car, bills). When I notice I have been credited I seriously do a little happy dance. It is so, so valuable to me and I'm so grateful to everyone who does this.
I love unplugged ceremonies SO much!
I recently posted a video on my Facebook page as to my point of view during a ceremony that isn't unplugged. Recently, a wedding photographer I know nearly had the whole first kiss shots ruined by an uncle with an iPhone trying to get the shot in the MIDDLE of the aisle. I'm there to capture these moments so that guests can watch with their own eyes and be present. Kindly ask your guests to put their iPads, phones, DSLRs away and enjoy the beautiful moments. It is so worth it.
I don't want you to look at me and smile.
The goal during pre Wedding shoots and wedding day couple shoots is to capture the beautiful interactions between you both as a couple. Don't worry, I'm always on hand with cues and ideas to ensure the details are to perfection. I'd much rather capture you both enjoying each other's company and completely forgetting I am there - that's when the real magic happens and the unforgettable moments are captured.
(Mark and Aimée had a really intense 5 minutes and I just let them be theirselves and enjoy that alone time together)
I am not in control - I am not god.
I wish I could control the weather - but I can't. But what I can do is make the best of the worst situations. I will shoot in the rain if I have to, I will run around checking for a dry spell to get you both outside. But I won't be carrying 300 umbrellas and a marquee with me.
Lighting is out of my control too but I workwith what I have and match it as closely to my style as possible.
I love feedback.
After months - sometimes years I am desperate to hear what you think of the gallery. After all we have been planning this together for a very long time over emails, pre Wedding meets and even through Instagram. (Yes I love interacting with my couples on Instagram!) SO much goes into the final delivery of your images and suspense has me on edge every moment until I hear from you.
I might cry.
It happens, I have no shame. It might be the speeches, It might even be during the first dance. Capturing such special moments is such a privilege. I do promise, that I WON'T be sobbing like a Kim K emoji.
The more you trust me, the better the images.
The more freedom you give me in regards to locations and time, the more creative I get and the better the images. I absolutely love it when I meet a couple and they say they're "up for anything, you're the pro".
Yes your dress may get dirty, I'm yet to see a clean one by the end of a wedding day but walking through that field as the evening guests arrive may give you images you'll treasure for ever. I'm on hand as the expert for golden hour times and moments, I try my best not to take you away from your guests for too long. Just long enough to capture some beautiful moments.
- Mar 31, 2019 Lucie loves... - to finish Mar 31, 2019
- Mar 10, 2019 A Kent Countryside engagement shoot Mar 10, 2019
- Mar 3, 2019 Norfolk Pre Wedding Shoot Mar 3, 2019
- Feb 19, 2019 My guide to lighting on your wedding day Feb 19, 2019
- Feb 17, 2019 Holland Park Pre Wedding Shoot Feb 17, 2019
- Feb 10, 2019 Why have a second shooter? Feb 10, 2019
- Feb 3, 2019 A winter wedding at Gosfield Hall Feb 3, 2019
- Jan 27, 2019 Kat and Catriona's December City wedding Jan 27, 2019
- Jan 26, 2019 My 2019 Bucket List Jan 26, 2019
- Jan 23, 2019 Does it spark joy? Jan 23, 2019
- Jan 20, 2019 9 things you should think about for your wedding day Jan 20, 2019
- Jan 13, 2019 Helen and Will’s barn wedding at Micklefield Hall Jan 13, 2019
- Jan 6, 2019 Jenny and Peter's Alnwick Garden Wedding Jan 6, 2019
- Dec 30, 2018 To sum up 2018... Dec 30, 2018
- Dec 2, 2018 Josie & Danny's Destination Wedding Dec 2, 2018
- Nov 26, 2018 An outdoor ceremony at a Kent manor Nov 26, 2018
- Nov 26, 2018 Planning your timeline for Golden Hour Photos Nov 26, 2018
- Nov 4, 2018 The one where they get married on a train platform Nov 4, 2018
- Oct 29, 2018 An adventurous couples autumnal, outdoor wedding ceremony Oct 29, 2018
- Oct 8, 2018 Cooling Castle Barn Wedding Oct 8, 2018
- Oct 7, 2018 Athens Destination Wedding Oct 7, 2018
- Sep 30, 2018 Claire & Nick’s London Town Wedding Sep 30, 2018
- Sep 16, 2018 Kat and Liam in Italy Sep 16, 2018
- Sep 11, 2018 A yorkshire pre wedding shoot Sep 11, 2018
- Sep 5, 2018 Nick & Claire Pre Wed Sep 5, 2018
- Sep 4, 2018 Jess & Joe's Derbyshire Wedding Sep 4, 2018
- Aug 30, 2018 A glance at my summer weddings Aug 30, 2018
- Aug 16, 2018 Winter Weddings Tips Aug 16, 2018
- Jul 31, 2018 What’s happened in 2018 so far... Jul 31, 2018
- Jul 29, 2018 Charlotte & David at Gosfield Hall, Essex Jul 29, 2018
- Jul 22, 2018 Cambridge Pre Wedding Shoot Jul 22, 2018
- Jul 15, 2018 Claire and Jack's Barn Wedding Jul 15, 2018
- Jul 8, 2018 Hari & Carmen's fun-filled wedding day Jul 8, 2018
- Jun 28, 2018 Apryl & James' Pre Wedding Shoot Jun 28, 2018
- Jun 21, 2018 Becky and Mark's Countryside Wedding Jun 21, 2018
- May 30, 2018 Fiona and Josh's Engagement Shoot May 30, 2018
- May 22, 2018 Rowena and Sam's London Wedding May 22, 2018
- May 13, 2018 Hannah & Jordan at South Lodge, Sussex May 13, 2018
- May 1, 2018 Emily & James at Maidens Barn, Essex May 1, 2018
- Apr 15, 2018 Carmen and Hari's Pre Wedding Shoot in the Industrial East End of London Apr 15, 2018
- Apr 7, 2018 Secrets of a Wedding Photographer Apr 7, 2018
- Apr 5, 2018 Ben and Lauren's Proposal in Ireland Apr 5, 2018
- Mar 22, 2018 My guide to photography gifts for your wedding Mar 22, 2018
- Mar 18, 2018 Sarah & Dan, Friern Manor Mar 18, 2018
- Mar 10, 2018 Beautiful Hair Styling Ideas Mar 10, 2018
- Mar 4, 2018 BTS: What happens to the photos after the wedding Mar 4, 2018
- Feb 25, 2018 Golden Hour Timings Feb 25, 2018
- Feb 10, 2018 Katie & Matt's Winter Wedding Day Feb 10, 2018
- Feb 3, 2018 Heather and Joe at The Riding School, Firle Place Feb 3, 2018
- Jan 28, 2018 Tips for a relaxed wedding day Jan 28, 2018
- Jan 25, 2018 Sam & Doug's London Wedding Jan 25, 2018
- Jan 21, 2018 My 2018 Wedding Bucket List Jan 21, 2018
- Jan 14, 2018 Lucy & Tom, Colchester Jan 14, 2018
- Jan 2, 2018 Jess & Luke's Autumn inspired Wedding, Ashford Jan 2, 2018
- Dec 31, 2017 Highlights of 2017 Dec 31, 2017
- Oct 31, 2017 Josie, Danny and Max Oct 31, 2017
- Oct 8, 2017 Zoe and Justin, Oxfordshire Oct 8, 2017
- Sep 23, 2017 Rosie & Allan's Wedding at the family home Sep 23, 2017
- Sep 13, 2017 Confetti Sep 13, 2017
- Aug 31, 2017 What to expect when you're expecting - a wedding photographer. Aug 31, 2017
- Aug 22, 2017 Reasons why we should work together on your wedding day Aug 22, 2017
- Jul 30, 2017 Emily and Chris: Outdoor Ceremony At the Orangery Jul 30, 2017
- Jul 2, 2017 Stephanie and Andrew's Kirkley Hall Tipi Jul 2, 2017
- Jun 26, 2017 Stephanie & Andrew at Allen Banks, Hexham Jun 26, 2017
- Jun 8, 2017 Rebecca and Craig's York Railway Wedding Jun 8, 2017
- Jun 3, 2017 Holly & David at Bamburgh Beach, Northumberland Jun 3, 2017
- Apr 30, 2017 Emily and Chris' Spring Pre Wedding Shoot Apr 30, 2017
- Apr 23, 2017 Katie and Matthew: Married at The Orangery Apr 23, 2017
- Mar 21, 2017 Pre Wedding Shoot Ideas Mar 21, 2017
- Mar 4, 2017 Nathalie and Nick's Vivienne Westwood inspired Wedding Mar 4, 2017
- Feb 25, 2017 Tips for the best bridal prep photography on your wedding day. Feb 25, 2017
- Feb 18, 2017 My Wedding Photography Bucket List Feb 18, 2017
- Feb 17, 2017 Rose and Dandy - Table Decor Inspiration Feb 17, 2017
- Feb 5, 2017 Hayley and Hamish, Penshurst Place Feb 5, 2017
- Feb 5, 2017 Romy and Jacks' London Engagement Shoot Feb 5, 2017
- Feb 5, 2017 A London Engagement Shoot Feb 5, 2017
- Feb 5, 2017 Rosie and Conor, Bedfords Park Feb 5, 2017
- Feb 5, 2017 Gemma and Chris at Blake Hall, May 2016 Feb 5, 2017
- Feb 4, 2017 Gemma and Chris' Pre Wedding Feb 4, 2017
- Feb 4, 2017 Wedding Albums Feb 4, 2017
- Jan 28, 2017 A Sunday afternoon shoot at Knole Park with Katie & Matt Jan 28, 2017
- 2016 5